Alkaline Water and The Health Benefits
Alkaline water is water that has been ionized, which means the pH level of water has been increased.
The pH level is a number that measures how acidic or alkaline a substance is on a scale of 0 to 14.
Dive Right In...
What Is pH?
PH stands for potential hydrogen and is a measurement of how many hydrogen ions, symbolized by H+, are in a solution. Thus the more ions, the more acidic the substance.
A high number of hydroxide ions, is symbolized by an OH-, characterizes basic, or alkaline, substances. If a substance has the same amount of H+ and OH-, then it is said to be neutral. Water is a common example of this sort of solution. Examples of acidic and basic solutions include lemon juice and soapy water, respectively.
Alkaline Water Types
Based on the potential hydrogen (pH) level, three basic types of alkaline waters are most commonly available.
Low Alkaline Water
With a significantly lower pH level than standard alkaline, this is the starter type for those who are new to alkaline water.
It is advisable to take low alkaline water for the first two weeks before going to the next level of alkalinity pH 9.0.
Alkaline water pH 8.5 is useful and safe even for children and the elderly.
Medium Alkaline Water
This type of alkaline water has a slightly higher pH level, ticking the scale at 9.0.
For those who are focused on moving up to regular consumption of standard alkaline water, this is the next level.
After two weeks of being on low alkaline, you can move to this next level to keep the body well adjusted.
Some are left in this level, especially those who have sensitive systems that are no longer able to move up to the standard scale.
High Alkaline Water
Alkaline Food VS Acidic Eatables
Top 7 Ways Alkaline Water Helps
Top 10 Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water
Here are the top ten reasons to drink alkaline ionized water every day:
1. Hydration: Analysis show that drinking alkaline ionized water hydrates your body better than plain water. It has a lower surface tension than regular water, allowing it to absorb via cellular osmosis. A recent study from Montana State University, showed that it hydrates 17% better than plain water. If you are continually suffering from thirst, chapped lips, or fatigue, you probably are dehydrated. So, give it a try. It will make staying hydrated a breeze.
2. Liver Health: Can reduce oxidative stress in the body that affects the liver. Alkaline water also has increased levels of critical antioxidants that protect the liver.
3. Digestive Health: Research suggests alkaline water reduces the symptoms of colitis, loose bowel, and constipation. Acid reflux is a common condition experienced by a large portion of the population. These symptoms occur by stomach acid or other contents flowing up into the esophagus due to diet and daily activities. According to The Voice Institute of New York, when comparing waters, waters with a lower pH were unable to neutralize stomach acid. In contrast, water with a pH range of 8.5 was actually able to neutralize it. Drinking high pH alkaline water can act as a natural antacid with no nasty side effects.
4. Balance Body pH: Above all, investigation shows that raising the pH of your urine by just one pH can prevent or eliminate the symptoms of metabolic syndromes, such as obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, and kidney stones. On a recent clinical study showed that it can fight harmful metabolic acidosis by raising blood pH by 40 – 70% within the normal blood pH range.
The PH Scale
5. Weight Loss: Moreover, hydration allows you to have better workouts so that you can burn more calories. Recent examination showed that people who started drinking alkaline water lost an average of 12 pounds in two months. With the only change they made being drinking alkaline water.
6. Anti-Aging: It triples the antioxidant’s strength in vitamin C and also, it counteracts harmful reactive species that damage DNA and tissue. Combined, alkaline water and vitamin C can work effectively to neutralize harmful free radicals.
7. Heart Health and Blood Pressure: It can help reduce blood pressure and lower cholesterol in people with mineral differences.
8. Detoxification: It provides the body with a daily cleanse. Your kidneys will thank you as ion trapping draws out acidic toxins. Your liver will say, “Cheers!” as the increased levels of antioxidants promote blood cleansing. Your colon will feel the difference, and YOU will too!
9. Bone Health: Research shows a clear link between this water and bone health. When your body’s pH balance becomes acidic, your body will adjust it by stealing calcium from your bones.
10. Spots Performance: Moreover, you will feel more hydrated when exercising with greater endurance, faster recovery, and more energy.
Liquid Acidic and Alkaline Examples
Top 4 Ways To Get Alkaline Water
You can buy bottled alkaline water from markets. For instance, instead of mineral water, you can opt for buying alkaline water. But there are other ways through which you can make your alkaline water at home. Have a look.
1. Use an ionizer. Firstly, one way to raise the pH in your H20 is to use an ionizer, which works by using electrolysis to separate the acidic and alkaline components of the water. The machine is about the size of a toaster. They range in price from several hundred dollars to a few thousand. It is an electric water filter that hooks upright to your faucet. It’s pricey, but once you have it hooked up, all your water will be pH-optimized.
2. Use an ionized water filter. A cheaper solution to consider is an ionized water filter, which works similarly to other filtered systems. The filters have a little pouch of essential minerals, which ups the pH levels of the water.
3. Add pH drops. One of the easiest ways to do it yourself, is to use pH drops. It comprises of water and alkaline minerals.
4. Add baking soda. Baking soda is the pantry staple that just keeps on giving. Adding just half a teaspoon to a gallon of water is all you need to raise its pH. Just be wary of drinking baking soda water while on medication. Its impact on your stomach acid could affect how certain drugs digest in your body.)
Share & Comment
- Sage Journals
Potential benefits of pH 8.8 alkaline drinking water as an adjunct in the treatment of reflux disease.
- National Institute of Public Health
Health risks from drinking demineralized water.
- Journal of Preventive Medicine
Preliminary observation on changes of blood pressure, blood sugar and blood lipids after using alkaline ionized drinking water.
- Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
Effect of electrolyzed high-pH alkaline water on blood viscosity in healthy adults.
Alkaline mineral water lowers bone resorption even in calcium sufficiency.
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research
Is alkaline water better for you than plain water?